3 Easy Skin Care Recipes for Healthy Summer Skin
Summer is nearly here. As the temperature rises, and the days grow longer, we spend more active time outside and expose more of our skin to the elements. While the warm summer sun feels good, overexposure can cause damage and breakouts.
There’s no shortage of skincare products available at your local pharmacy or department store. But what’s in them?
Many contain manufactured ingredients such as parabens, phthalates, and synthetic fragrance. These common chemicals can create hormonal imbalances and have been linked to the development of certain illnesses. Anything that you put on your skin gets absorbed into your bloodstream, so it’s essential to take care that you know your ingredients.
The good news is that you don’t have to douse your body in unpronounceable ingredients and chemicals to keep it healthy, soft, and blemish-free. Here are 3 all-natural recipes for summer skin care:
Tea Tree Oil Acne Treatment
Clear your complexion
An essential oil that comes from the Melaleuca tree in Australia, this extract is antimicrobial and can be used to treat acne or cuts. You can find it in the beauty section of your local health food store.
To use: Dab a small amount on the blemish and let it dry.
Mint-Coconut Sugar Scrub
Slough off dead skin
Courtesy of 2011 graduate Amanda Cook
- 4 Tbsp. sunflower oil
- 1 TB (15 ml) raw coconut oil (will be solid at room temperature)
- ½ c. (100 g) demerara sugar
- handful of mint, finely chopped
- peppermint essential oil (optional)
- Put the two oils and mint in a double boiler. Heat gently for 15-20 minutes
- Remove from heat and strain out the mint leaves, reserving the oil.
- When oil has cooled, add the sugar and stir well
- Store in a wide-mouthed container to use in the shower or bath
- Use as a scrub on your body (not face) and rinse well
Homemade Suncreen Bars
Keep skin burn-free
Courtesy of Wellness Mama
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup shea butter, cocoa butter, or mango butter (or a mix of all 3 to make one cup)
- 1 cup beeswax
- 1 Tbsp. or more of zinc oxide
- Optional: Vitamin E oil to preserve
- Optional: few drops of vanilla or essential oil for scent
- 12 Silicon baking cups or other molds
- Combine all ingredient – except zinc oxide and essential oils if using – in a double boiler or a glass bowl over a small saucepan with 1 inch water in it
- Bring the water to a boil. Stir constantly until ingredients are melted and smooth
- Remove from heat and add zinc oxide powder and essential oils
- Gently stir by hand until they are incorporated
- Pour into molds and let cool.
- Remove from the molds and store at below 80º F to avoid melting.
Want more skincare recipes and natural remedies for sunburn, bug bites, and poison ivy? Check out the new Summer Wellness Tune Up guide. It has tips, tricks, and lots of recipes help you eat healthily, get fit, and have fun during the warmer months. Get your Summer Wellness Tune Up guide now.
What natural products do you use on your skin?