I'm always looking for recipes that put fall and winter flavors like butternut squash to work in vegetarian fare. A thoughtful pasta recipe like this one is a great way to turn meatless meals into a main course. If you're looking for festive fare that satisfies both vegetarians and your meat-and-potato lovers, this Butternut Squash Pasta Recipe is ideal.
Butternut Squash Pasta Recipe
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 12 ounces organic whole wheat pasta
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and sage leaves
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread butternut squash out on a cookie sheet. Dress with 1 Tbsp olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Toss with your hands. Bake for 30 minutes.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add sea salt to season the water. Cook pasta as per package directions.
3. Add squash to a food processor and puree. Add in nutmeg and Parmesan cheese.
4. Heat remaining olive oil up to medium heat. Add in garlic and onion and cook until fragrant. Add butternut squash puree along with vegetable broth. Cook for 5 minutes.
5. Top pasta with butternut squash sauce. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and fresh sage.