If you're not familiar with Meyer lemons, here's a quick run down: They have a deep yellow, smooth, thin skin and are quite a bit sweeter and more subtle than their standard lemon kin. Mid-winter is prime Meyer lemon season. These muffins are low in sugar and swap out butter for heart-healthy olive oil.
Healthier Meyer Lemon Chia Seed Muffins
Makes 8 standard-size muffins
What You'll Need:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup lemon Greek yogurt
- Juice and zest from 1 Meyer lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
What to Do:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Add eight liners to a standard-size muffin tin and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the olive oil, sugar, yogurt, and lemon juice and zest, until fully combined. Add the egg and vanilla, and mix thoroughly.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in two additions, stirring until just combined. Fold in the chia seeds.
5. Add batter to the muffin liners, filling 3/4 of the way full.
6. Bake for 13-15 minutes, until the muffins are golden on top and a toothpick comes out clean after inserting it into a few muffins.
7. Remove from the oven. Cool. Enjoy immediately.