Apricot Lentil Soup – An Easy Meal For Spring
For many of us, spring is just starting to arrive. It’s the time of year when the days are warming up, but the nights are still chilly. Not only does this weather make choosing a jacket for the day tricky, but it also leaves you craving a warm meal with light, springy flavors.
This apricot lentil soup from 2010 graduate Dr. Sarah Stout of Reinventing Wellness, is the perfect compromise. It’s warm and filling, with a burst of bright flavor from the apricot and lemon. It will almost make you wish summer would never come…almost!
Apricot Lentil Soup
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup dried apricots
- 1 ½ cups red lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups mixed veggies of choice
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp dried thyme, salt and ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Saute onion, garlic, and apricots in olive oil.
- Add lentils and stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add veggies, cumin, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste, and simmer 10 minutes more.
- Add lemon juice.
- Puree 1/2 of the soup in a blender, then return to the pot.