Gluten-Free, Vegan and Oh-So-Delicious Cacao Cornbread
The sudden change of weather in the in early fall often leaves us craving warm, comforting foods to keep us grounded. Luckily, we found this recipe for Raw Cacao Cornbread on nutrition guru Amie Valpone’s blog, The Healthy Apple. It’s comforting, filling and healthy, made with 100% gluten-free and vegan ingredients. And don’t forget the added nutritional benefit that superfood raw cacao adds to the mix!
Of course, all-purpose flour can be substituted for the brown rice flour if you want to make a non-gluten free version of this recipe.
Raw Cacao Cornbread
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 1/4 cups ground yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 6 Tbsp. Earth Balance Vegan Butter sticks, melted
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- Egg substitute for 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup raw cacao nibs
- Pinch of chili powder
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Prepare a 9x9” loaf pan with nonstick baking spray.
- In large bowl, combine tapioca flour, cornmeal, brown rice flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Whisk well to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine Earth Balance melted butter, almond milk, agave nectar and egg substitute; whisk well to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients; mix well. Add raw cacao nibs, chili powder and cinnamon.
- Transfer mixture into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.