Summer Cooler Essentials
The days get longer and warmer, and the potential to momentarily forget if its Tuesday or Saturday gets better.
Whether it’s a trip to the beach, an afternoon at the pool, or a hike in the woods, there are endless outdoor activities that become possible with the warm weather. Being active and far from the kitchen or grocery store means you need to have portable snacks on hand. For a lot of people, that means processed items from the grocery store, but it doesn’t have to. Just because something needs to be portable doesn’t mean it shouldn’t align with the way you love to eat.
Before you head to your well-deserved “happy place” in the sand, beside the pool, or in the woods, make sure that your cooler is as ready as you are.
Here are 10 easy and perfect-for-the-cooler recipes to inspire you to bring your healthy lifestyle along for the fun.
- Antioxidant-Boosting Waters: Stay hydrated the smart way this summer! Why drink regular ol’ water when you can add the amazing antioxidant benefits of goji berries?
- Pumpkin Seed Hummus: This delicious, flavorful hummus subs in nutrient-packed pumpkin seeds for the traditional garbanzo beans for an unexpected twist. It's perfect with seed crackers or wrapped in collard greens.
- Flax Seed, Sesame Seed, and Sunflower Seed Crackers: Sesame, flax, and sunflower seeds come to the rescue when only something crunchy will do…it's a perfect snack on the go, either alone or with an accompaniment of your choice!
- Garden Potato Salad: Not your typical mayo-laden potato salad, this recipe includes tons of fresh chopped veggies to stay light, refreshing, and flavorful.
- Kale, Cacao and Fig Smoothie Pops: What says summer more than a popsicle? Figs and pure maple syrup make these pops different than any you've ever encountered before. They're so sweet and delicious that you'll eat them all up before they even have time to melt!
- Chilled Peaches, Mint, and Avocado: Sometimes it's the simplest things in life that are the best. And this recipe is the ultimate in simplicity: Just these three delicious summertime staples, tossed with lime juice and a drizzle of maple syrup. Done and done.
- Superfood Kale Salad with Acai Dressing: Now this is a salad with sophistication. Fresh kale with tons of fruits, veggies, and seeds, it's got a great mix of flavors and textures, and a powerful antioxidant punch!
- Watermelon Mint Slush: Revisit your childhood with a delicious slush recipe. This is a more mature version, with sweet and refreshing watermelon kicked up a notch with a hint of mint.
- Superfood Granola: I like to make a huge batch of this tasty treat, and use it throughout the summer. It's great to eat on the go.
- Tuli Energy Poppers: Tuli energy poppers provide a sustained mid-day boost to help keep you moving. The pumpkin and sunflower seed recharge your body while the cinnamon, nutmeg, and coconut satisfy your tastebuds.
Stock your cooler with these easy recipes, and you'll be the most popular (and healthiest!) kid on the beach!
Adri Warrick is a certified holistic health coach who co-founded The Whole Tulip with her sister, Carolyn Hallett, CHHC. Aside from growing a business that she loves, Adri spends her time being a mom to two fantastic boys, doing yoga and barre classes, and trying her hardest to develop a green thumb so she can grow her own garden.