Welcome Summer with a Healthy Memorial Day Menu!
Many people will gather with family and friends this weekend to honor our fallen soldiers, and to celebrate the unofficial beginning of summer. The winter months may have been mild this year, but it’s been too long since we spent some time in the sun!
A Memorial Day menu calls for lots of colorful ingredients, some of which can be thrown on the grill; and other times, after a long day spent at the beach or in the backyard, a refreshing dish is best. Here are some of our favorite recipes for a deliciously healthy Memorial Day menu!
Raw Zucchini Hummus
From IIN student Abby Hughes
Raw, vegan, gluten-free
- 1 cup peeled and chopped zucchini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 big cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoons salt
- A pinch of smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup raw tahini
- Add all ingredients except for the tahini into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Scrape down the sides and add the tahini. Blend again until it’s completely incorporated.
- When you think it’s ready, blend for one extra minute. It’s the secret to perfectly smooth hummus!
Looking for more scrumptious starters and snacks? Give these a try:
Citrus-Pomegranate Quinoa Salad
From IIN student LaRae Wilson
Vegan, gluten-free, non-dairy
- 1/2 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh minced cilantro
- 1 cup pomegranate arils (These are available out of season in the prepared section of produce)
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water or chicken or vegetable broth
- 1-2 avocados cut into small cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2-3 teaspoons honey or agave (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 heaping teaspoon kosher salt
- A few cracks of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove minced garlic
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Combine diced cucumber, minced onion, chopped cilantro, pomegranate seeds, and drained and rinsed beans in a large salad bowl.
- Toss with quinoa.
- Drizzle the dressing over the mixture and toss to combine, then chill until ready to serve.
- Before serving, add diced avocado and eat immediately.
Makes 6-8 main dish servings and 10-12 side dish servings, will keep in the refrigerator for several days.
For a balanced menu, give these tasty sides a try:
Sesame Grilled Asparagus
From IIN Graduate Rachel Johnson
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon shoyu
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat the grill to high
- Mix the garlic, sesame oil and shoyu in a shallow dish
- Roll the asparagus back and forth until fully coated
- Grill for 3-4 minutes per side
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds
In need of extra veggie recipes? Add these to your menu:
Balsamic-Rosemary Tempeh Skewers
From IIN graduate Lindsay Ingalls
• 1 (8oz) package of tempeh, large dice
• 8-10 button or cremini mushrooms
• 8 Rosemary Stalks; remove all but the top leaves, reserve 1 Tbsp of leaves and finely chop
• 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
• 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
• 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Using the rosemary stalks, skewer the tempeh and mushrooms. Place in one layer in a shallow baking dish.
- In a small bowl whisk together the tablespoon of rosemary, garlic, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard, salt and pepper; evenly pour over the skewers.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until most of the liquid has reduced; flip and baste after 20 minutes.
More mains for Memorial Day:
Clementine Banana Soft Serve
From IIN graduate Ashley Craft
1 banana, frozen (in halves)
1 clementine, frozen
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon carob chips (optional)
- Place banana and clementine in food processor, add vanilla.
- Blend until mixture has a 'soft serve' consistency.
- If mixture is not becoming creamy, add a dash of liquid, such as almond milk or water.
- Garnish with sliced strawberries and carob chips
For more refreshingly delicious desserts, check these out:
Integrative Nutrition wishes you a happy, healthy holiday! What will you be cooking this weekend?