Recipe for Autumn Squash Soup
One of the things we love about fall is the start of “soup season.” Filling, comforting, and easy to prepare in advance, soups are an excellent way to meet your nutritional needs on a busy schedule.
Integrative Nutrition student Sherrie Scaglione shares a flavorful recipe for a seasonal soup filled with squash, greens, and beans. This soup offers anti-inflammatory benefits and boosts immunity, thanks to the turmeric and garlic. Make a big pot to reheat and enjoy throughout the week!
Autumn Delicata Squash Soup
Vegan, gluten and grain free
- 2 delicata squashes, peeled, seeds removed, and chopped)
- 2 cups cooked kidney beans
- 3-4 leaves collard greens, chopped
- 1 bulb fennel, sliced (do not use stalks; can also substitute a pinch of fennel seed)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 5 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Generous pinch of ground celery seed
- Generous pinch of dried thyme
- 5 cups of vegetable broth
- Sea salt and coarse ground pepper to taste
- Heat a large pot over low heat, and add the oil, onions, shallots and garlic.
- Sauté for 5-10 minutes, until vegetables are slightly translucent.
- Add the sage, turmeric, paprika, parsley, celery seed, and thyme. Stir until the spices are blended.
- Add the squash, fennel and broth.
- Simmer on low for about 30-45 minutes.
- Once the squash is tender, add in the beans and collards.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes on low heat, then serve.
Connect with Sherrie: