A Superfood-Packed Cacao Treat to Satisfy Your Sugar Craving
Every once in a while you just need something sweet. Instead of succumbing to the temptation of a chocolate chip cookie, why not satisfy your sweet tooth with something equally indulgent but packed with superfoods and nutrients?
We love these Coco Cacao Squares from 2011 graduate, Diana Chaplin. These little bars are the perfect snack to give you that much needed 3pm pick-me-up during the week. They satisfy your craving for sweets with a real nutritional punch, and give you a burst of energy to get you through the rest of your day.
Coco Cacao Squares
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (or roasted unsalted)
- 1/2 cup brazil nuts
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup pitted dates
- 1 1/2 tbsp. raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp. vanilla maple syrup (or 1 Tbsp. each of regular maple syrup + vanilla extract)
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tbsp. hemp hearts
- If you have raw cashews, preheat oven to 350°.
- While the oven is heating up, combine all of the other ingredients except the hemp hearts into a blender (if using roasted cashews, skip steps 3 & 4).
- Bake the cashews for about 5-7 minutes, just until they turn a light golden color.
- Let the cashews cool for a few minutes, and then add them to the rest of the ingredients in the blender.
- Blend it up!
- Line an 8×8 pan with wax or parchment paper so there’s enough of a fold coming out to cover the top of the pan.
- Transfer the blended mixture onto the lined pan, and flatten it to distribute evenly. It should stick together easily but still be slightly crumbly.
- Sprinkle the hemp hearts on top, fold the top of the wax paper over the mixture and flatten it again with your hands above the mixture.
- Put in the fridge for an hour or overnight, then simply cut lines into the hardened mixture to make squares. Remove with the wax paper and they should come apart easily.