10 Avocado Beauty Treatments for Shiny Hair and Glowing Skin
No doubt that we love guacamole, avocado on toast, and basically every way to eat avocado, but what does the avocado bring to the beauty table? Turns out, a lot. The unique properties of avocado are what make this fruit stand out when it comes to natural beauty treatments. Avocados help soften hair and skin, soothe skin irritation, and contain sterolins that boost collagen production. Making this multitalented super-fruit a part of your beauty routine, as well as your diet, is sure to have a beautiful impact!
Avocado: Awesome for All Skin Types
Just when you thought avocado couldn’t be any more versatile, there’s this: it’s beneficial for any skin type! To make a universally skin-pleasing face cleanser, just mix one beaten egg yolk, one half cup of milk, and the flesh of half an avocado together until it’s the consistency of a creamy lotion. Apply the mixture to your face, moving in a circular pattern before rinsing it off with warm water.
You can also make other avocado face treatments tailored to specific skin types:
- For dry skin, create a mask with half an avocado and one quarter cup of honey. Let it work its magic on your face and neck for up to 20 minutes before rinsing off.
- For oily skin, follow the procedure above, but swap out the honey for one egg white and one teaspoon of vitamin E oil.
- For puffy eyes, mix one quarter cup of a ripe avocado with one quarter cup of aloe vera gel. Let the mixture sit under your eyes for 10 minutes, then wash and moisturize normally.
Avocado for Silky Hair
The oils in an avocado are as great for your hair as they are for your skin. Mix an entire peeled avocado with one egg yolk and a half teaspoon of olive oil to make a moisturizing hair mask. Starting at the roots, massage the solution throughout your hair, working your way down to the tips. Cover your head with a disposable shower cap and leave it on for 30 minutes before shampooing and conditioning.
These variations can help you make the treatment even better for you:
- If you have particularly dry hair, adding one teaspoon of honey to the above treatment provides even more effective moisturizing.
- For those plagued by oily hair, combine half of an avocado with two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and one tablespoon of mayonnaise and go through the same process.
Avocado Body Treatments
Avocado’s beauty benefits don’t end at the shoulders! Your whole body can take advantage of this fruit. For a moisturizing body mask, mash one avocado, peel and pit removed, with one teaspoon of lemon juice. Cover your skin with the mix, and let it sit for up to 20 minutes before you rinse it off in the shower.
You can also try out one of these avocado body treatments:
- Create an effective, exfoliating body scrub using one peeled avocado, one cup of oatmeal, and one teaspoon lemon juice. Mix in just enough water to make the scrub spreadable, then scrub it over your body with a washcloth, loofah, or your hands to rid your skin of dead cells during your next hot shower.
- Little-known fact: The oil found in the avocado peel is actually more potent than what you get from the pulp! Try rubbing the dark side of the peel on rough feet, and apply it to scaly patches of skin to soften and moisturize.
As with any time you try a new beauty treatment, it’s best to rub a little avocado on your skin first to make sure you don’t have an allergic reaction.
There’s no denying that avocado is one of Mother Nature’s ultimate secrets to beauty. So head on down to the grocery store or farmer’s market—shiny hair, a glowing complexion, and supple skin await!
Which of these avocado beauty treatments are you going to try first? Let us know how it goes for you in the comments section below!