Apple Contest Winner: Chicken and Apple Pad Thai
We are so thrilled to announce that we have narrowed down our apple recipe contest entries to three lucky winners. This was not an easy task – we had so many great recipe submissions! Our editors will certainly be making lots of apple treats this season.
Congratulations to Rachel Ruiz, who won first prize for her Sweet Teriyaki Chicken Pad Thai. As promised, Wellness Today contributing writer and professionally trained chef Lauren Caster whipped up this tasty dish to share for our readers. It was certainly a hit with her family. “This dish was just the right amount of spice, sweet, and comfort – the perfect fall meal, and a very unique way to use apples!” says Lauren.
We would also like to congratulate our second and third place winners Diane Hoch, who submitted a recipe for gluten-free spiced apple and cranberry crisp, and Michael Barone, who sent us a recipe for apple salsa verde. Check back in the next few days to see our second and third place recipes on Wellness Today too!
Sweet Teriyaki Chicken and Apple Pad Thai
- 1 box pad thai noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 granny smith apples, cored and grated
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 cup shredded Napa cabbage
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Cook pad thai according to directions on the back of the box. Drain, rinse, and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken breasts to hot skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Add onion, apple, carrot, cabbage, and ginger to pan with chicken. Cook for 3-5 minutes until cabbage has softened and wilted, stirring frequently. Stir in soy sauce, maple syrup, and seasonings. Turn heat to low, cover, and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Pour drained pad thai into skillet. Use tongs to carefully toss and incorporate pad thai into apple-chicken mixture, and serve.