Garden Greens Gluten-Free Pasta
What we want to eat and what we need to eat are not always the same. For example, sometimes I just want to eat a warm and hearty bowl of pasta for dinner. This usually happens when its cold and rainy outside or I just need some comfort food. However, I know that what my body actually needs, and what will make me feel best is fresh vegetables. This recipe is the answer to my dilemma. It’s filling and comforting but it packs a major vegetable punch.
I like to add lots of green vegetables, which is why I chose to add green tomatoes, but feel free to throw in any of your favorite vegetables. It’s also super quick, so you can have a nutritious, vegetarian dinner on the table in 20 minutes flat!
Garden Greens Gluten Free Pasta with Spinach Pesto
- 1 box or 15 oz. quinoa pasta
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup toasted, unsalted walnuts
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 medium head of broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 10 -12 kale leaves, stems removed and torn into about 2-inch pieces
- 4 green zebra tomatoes, chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then add the pasta to cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
- While the pasta cooks, add the spinach, garlic, walnuts, salt and parmesan to a food processor and pulse to combine. While the food processor is running, add the olive oil. Adjust salt and olive oil to taste.
- In a skillet, heat ½ cup water to boiling. Add the broccoli and cook for 3 minutes. Add kale, and cook until wilted. Remove from pan and set aside
- Spoon the spinach pesto from the food processor into the skillet, then add cooked pasta, stir to coat.
- Add the broccoli and kale back to the skillet, then add the tomatoes. Cook for 1 more minute, then divide between 4 dishes.
- Top with parmesan if desired, then serve.