This smooth, Instagram-worthy soup makes a great weekday lunch for one, but it's also special enough for date night at home. To make it a heartier meal, I suggest pairing it with a classic grilled cheese sandwich.Leek, Fennel, and Apple Soup
Makes 6 to 8 Servings
What You’ll Need:
3 tablespoons oil
2 bunches leeks (approximately 6 medium, white and very light green parts only, washed of sand and sliced)
1 teaspoon coriander powder
2 small fennel bulbs, chopped, tops reserved
1 large russet potato, peeled and evenly cubed
1 apple, peeled and cored and evenly cubed
2 - 2.5 quarts vegetable stock or chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
For the apple relish:
1 apple, cored and finely cubed
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Fennel tops for garnish
What to Do:
1. Combine oil, leeks, coriander, and fennel with a pinch of salt in a soup pot over medium high heat. Saute for 10 minutes or until fennel and leeks begin to break down, stirring occasionally. Keep in mind the veggies should not brown.
2. Add the potato, apple, and stock to the pot. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to medium low heat. Simmer for 20 minutes or until all the vegetables are fork tender.
3. Using either an immersion blender, blender, or food processor, puree the contents of the soup pot until smooth and free of lumps. Season with salt and pepper.
4. For the relish, combine all ingredients in a bowl and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
5. Serve individually in a bowl and garnish with a teaspoon of relish and a couple fennel tops.