Last Sunday night, I was craving a caesar salad like no other. Unfortunately I’m allergic to dairy so the Parmesan-coated salad that I so craved was out of the question. Instead, I made my own version with kale subbing in for the classic romaine, and dressing that tasted like a creamy caesar variety that you might get at an Italian restaurant. Not to mention, I toasted up some homemade croutons from sprouted grain bread.
Reading that description doesn’t make this salad seem as oh so good as it is but I promise you, it will curb your caesar cravings any day. Full disclosure: As I was cooking, I didn’t measure the ingredients precisely but the amounts I recommend below are as close as possible to the actual measurements.
Vegan Kale Cesear Salad
- A bowlful of de-stemmed and chopped kale
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 2 tblspns olive oil
- 1 tblspn apple cider vinegar
- 1 tspn dijon mustard
- 1 tspn Worchester sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tblspn Nutritional Yeast (optional)
- 1 tspn sesame seeds
- 1 slice of your favorite bread, cubed and tossed with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Mix cashews, lemon, oil, vinegar, Worchester sauce, garlic, Nutritional Yeast, salt, and pepper in a blender until creamy
- Broil the seasoned bread for 2 minutes in the broiler or until crunchy
- In a large bowl, mix together the kale, dressing, croutons, and sesame seeds
Julia Dzafic is the founder of Lemon Stripes, a fashion blog and online boutique where she writes about her adventures in style, healthy cooking, and life as a married young woman in New York City. You can connect with Julia on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.