10 Things You Didn’t Know about the Benefits of Lemon Water
If there’s one drink that nutrition and health experts swear by, it’s lemon water. Sounds simple, sure, but it is actually a powerhouse of a drink, and the perfect way to get your body ready for the day ahead. Lemons are packed with vital nutrients, like calcium, magnesium, fiber, potassium, iron, vitamin C, and B-complex vitamins. They pretty much are little yellow balls of healthy goodness! Combined with the hydrating H20, you’ve got yourself the ultimate morning drink. Here are ten more benefits of lemon water:
1) Helps Digestion. In Ayurvedic traditions, it is believed that toxins build up in our stomachs and can cause disease if not cleansed. Lemon helps your digestive system by stimulating your liver to produce more bile. It also helps it by adding more acid that helps break down food and flush out toxins.
2) Freshens Your Breath. Lemon helps get rid of gingivitis and relieves toothaches. Just be sure to hold off on brushing your teeth for at least a couple of hours after drinking lemon water as the citric acid in lemon can erode tooth enamel.
3) Relieves Constipation. Lemon water is a natural way to relieve constipation quickly. Lemon stimulates the bowels, and it helps your intestines produce mucus, which your intestines need to function optimally. It also hydrates the colon and adds moisture to dry stools.
4) Helps Give You Clear Skin. Lemons are full of antioxidants that your skin needs in order to be blemish-free. These antioxidants also help decrease wrinkles. Fun fact: when used topically, lemons can help diminish scars and dark spots!
5) Cleanses the Lymphatic System. Some practices of medicine believe that a dehydrated lymphatic system is a major cause of illness. Drinking lemon water helps hydrate your lymphatic system. When it’s not properly hydrated, it can make you feel tired, constipated, and just plain sickly. Lemon water can help cure you of all these symptoms and also improve your immunity, which helps prevent them in the first place.
6) Reduces Bloating. Lemon water helps relieve constipation, which in turn causes you to lose water weight. Lemons also contain pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings.
7) Reduces Inflammation. Drinking lemon water regularly decreases the acidity in your body. In particular, it reduces uric acid in your joints, which helps ease joint inflammation.
8) Gives You Energy. Drinking lemon water on a regular basis helps your body become healthy, which means that the energy that it was spending fighting off toxins and illnesses will be free to spend as you want!
9) Boosts Your Mood. Lemons have a lot of potassium, which is an essential nutrient for proper nerve and muscle function. Potassium is key in helping your nervous system produce and deliver the neurotransmitters that boost your mood. Low potassium levels have been linked with anxiety and depression.
10) Helps You Cut out Caffeine and Energy Drinks. With all the healing and energy your body will receive from drinking lemon water, caffeine and energy drinks will be things of the past! Plus, having this as your first drink of the morning—rather than a coffee—might diminish your desire to grab a latte afterward.
Have you incorporated lemon water into your diet? Share your experience in the comment section below!