Fourth of July Leftovers: Spinach Salad with Steak and Blueberries
Another Independence Day has come and gone, but that doesn’t mean the patriotic festivities have to end! Now that you’ve committed to your path to freedom this summer, why not start off with a bang by fueling your body with this colorful and nutritious spinach salad with steak and blueberries.
If you used our Red, White and Blue Cookout Menu this weekend, chances are you have a few of these salad ingredients leftover from your party. If not, feel free to add anything you like! Grilled chicken or even grilled cauliflower works well instead of steak, or you could even try using strawberries or raspberries for the dressing. Have fun and make this patriotic salad your own!
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons fruity vinegar, such as raspberry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil or canola oil
- 1 pound sirloin steak or strip steak (1-1 1/4 inches thick), trimmed (or any left over grilled meat will work!)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Pulse 1/4 cup blueberries, 1/4 cup walnuts, vinegar, shallot, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor to form a chunky paste. With the motor running, add oil until incorporated. Transfer the dressing to a large bowl.
- Sprinkle steak with pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Oil the grill rack. Grill the steak about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare, 6 minutes per side for medium. Let rest on a clean cutting board for 5 minutes.
- Add spinach to the bowl with the dressing; toss to coat. Divide the spinach among 4 plates. Thinly slice the steak crosswise. Top the spinach with the steak, feta and the remaining blueberries and walnuts.