Fruit Salad Recipe with Fresh Figs
Cooking with the seasons is not only the most delicious way to eat, but it also encourages balance, provides energy, and strengthens your immune system. To find out what’s in season, just head to your nearest farmers market.
Health Coach Clea Shannon celebrates the end of summer with one of August’s most nutritious fruits: fresh figs. Full of fiber, minerals, and antioxidants, figs are a healthy, tasty treat for everyone in the family.
Fresh Fig and Orange Salad
- 1 Fresh Fig, rinsed
- 1 Orange
- 3 Basil Leaves
- 1 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
- Cut the orange in half.
- Slice the orange like you would a grapefruit - around the outer edge of the flesh, and then along the natural seams of each wedge.
- Scoop out the orange pieces and place in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Finely chop the fig. Add to bowl.
- Toss with a splash of balsamic vinegar, to taste.
- For a unique presentation, scoop the fruit mixture back into the remaining orange peel “bowls”.
- Finely chop basil.
- Sprinkle each “bowl” with chopped basil.
This recipe can be adapted to a range of seasonal fruits. You can also get creative with the herbs, for example, using fresh mint instead of basil.
Connect with Clea
photo credit: Clea Shannon