Marriage Advice: 6 Tips from Year One
A few weeks ago marked our one year anniversary. I can’t believe it’s been a whole year since I walked down the aisle towards Anel the man of my dreams and committed my life to him (ahh, it’s still scary to say that out loud!) It has been a crazy year full of ups and downs: me quitting my job and starting a business, relatives passing away, and surviving 450 square feet together. People say marriage is hard and that is no lie, folks.
We’ve learned a lot along the way, that’s for sure. Check out our advice below.
1. Always listen to your partner and really hear what they are saying, even if they’re just telling you about their day or something that you don’t care about all that much.
2. If you want something, ask for it! I’m not shy when it comes to this and it has been a game changer. He’s not going to get up and vacuum just for the fun of it, but if I ask, he doesn’t mind doing it.
3. Date night! We try to have a date night every week where we get out of the house and spend some time together without computers or cell phones. It helps recharge our relationship on a weekly basis.
1. Communication is key. Talk about things that bother you instead of letting them build up.
2. Don’t go to bed angry. Resolve your issues before falling asleep or else they continue into the next day.
3. Don’t underestimate the little things. When I buy her flowers for no reason or clean the windows (she is OCD so this is an exciting thing for her), it makes her day. Those little things add up.
What are your most helpful marriage tips?
Julia Dzafic is the founder of Lemon Stripes, a fashion blog and online boutique where she writes about her adventures in style, healthy cooking, and life as a married young woman in New York City. You can connect with Julia on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.