The Beautiful Skin Diet
Who wants clear complexion and beautiful skin? It seems wherever we turn there is an advertisement for a new skin treatment both topical and surgical. Instead of spending hundreds to thousands of dollars on treatments, what about a more natural regimen?
If whole grains, vegetables and fruit help people with health problems can they do the same for skin? Can a cleaner diet clear up skin problems? In the September issue of Marie Claire Amy Weschsler M.D, in “9 Days to Glowing Skin,” gives tips for clearer, brighter and smoother complexions. She notes that a clean diet is important, but she also looks at more than what is on your plate.
Here are her skin-saving tips:
- Eat more veggies, fruits, whole grains, legumes, nuts and calcium-rich foods. Avoid artificial or processed foods.
- Eat soothing foods for better skin: berries, guacamole, nuts, oranges, asparagus, salmon and other fatty fish, spinach and dark chocolate.
- Start to unwind several hours before bed to ensure that you get a good night’s sleep.
- Incorporate at least 30 minutes of physical movement three times a week.
- Have healthy friendships and intimate relationships.
- Pamper yourself with a massage or a vacation.
While a cleaner diet helps with beautiful skin and overall health, we can also look at primary foods, the things that nourish you beyond your plate like healthy relationships, physical activity, career and spirituality. Try incorporating some of these changes to your routine and let us know what differences you notice.